Just back from our penultimate Poetry with Friends at The Mission this summer. Even poetry lovers need a break but we’ll be back in the autumn.
Tonight…there was something in the air. In fact those lyrics were in the air. I will reveal the song very soon…
We were all looking forward to tonight’s session. The theme was music and we were invited to bring pieces of music to talk about. Folk brought snacks too and as I type I can feel an adolescent spot developing on my chin after munching crisps and chocolate.
Gail refused to share the playlist with me in advance. I’m glad. I enjoyed ploughing through party food and both sitting and dancing to the following:
- Peggy Lee’s version on Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay
- The Tiger Lillies: Snip Snip
- Paul Simon’s You Can Call Me Al
- Timi Yuro: Cry
- Billy Fury: Like I’ve Never Been Gone
- Stephen Stills: Love the One you’re With
- Rolling Stones: Sympathy for the Devil
- The Searchers: Sweets for my Sweet
- Siouxsie and the Banshees: Hong Kong Garden
- Bob Dylan: The Times They are A-Changin’
- Tom Waits: Tom Traubert’s Blues
- Liquid Gold: Dancy Yourself Dizzy
- Chris Barber & Ottillie Patterson: I Can’t give You Anything But Love
- Mike Cooper: Trout Steel
- Albert Lee’s Country Boy
- REM: Shiny Happy People.
- Bruce Davies: Save the Last Dance for Me
- Nina Simone: I Shall Be Released
- Pet Shop Boys: Left to my own Devices
What a mix! These songs had stories attached to them linked to teenage memories, university, jobs, loves..and dancing!
“Tonight there’s Something in the air” comes from Liquid Gold’s Dance Yourself Dizzy. I was lucky enough to dance with Ken to this song. Thanks Ken. You are, in the words of Sister Sledge, The Greatest Dancer.
As Shiny Happy People played, Harry told me Kate Pierson from the B52s (wait for it) worked as a barmaid at The Anson pub in Wallsend in 1972. Then he checked it up on the internet so it MUST be true.
Ken told me the singer of Liquid Gold now runs an antique shop in Reigate. If Ken says so it MUST be true too!
It was a great night and we overran by almost half an hour.
Next week is our final Poetry with Friends on Tuesday night before the summer break. We will be back in The Station Masters’ Community Wildlife Garden. You wanna join us? Please pre-book by emailing email@example.com
Tonight they’re turning on the heat
Tonight you’re in for such a treat
Tonight, put on your dancin’ feet
And dance, dance, dance…